Ah Jjajangmyun. One of my favorite foods as a
kid person. Jjajangmyun is a noodle dish made with a black bean sauce and filled with veggies and traditionally pork. Some even add shrimp for an added burst of flavor. If you’ve never had it before, now is the time.
I grew up eating jjajangmyun many, many times and even have a photo of the sauce smothered all over my faced as a child. It’s that good. It’s warm. It’s comforting. And it’s oh so slurpable. Yup. I said it. Slurp this when you eat it. It’s only proper. 😉
My dad would take me and my siblings to eat jjajangmyun after every dentist appointment. I don’t really like the dentist. Very few do. But I looked forward to eating that jjajangmyun and got through those dentist appointments like a champ.
It’s one of Korea’s favorite delivery/take-out foods, only to be rivaled by Jjamppong – recipe coming soon!
Don’t wait another minute to make this delicious, comforting bowl of food. You won’t regret it. You don’t even have to go to the dentist. I won’t tell. 🙂
Let’s make it!
Prep Time: ~20M | Cook Time: ~45M | Total Time: ~1H5M
Recipe Author: SavorySeoul
- 1 pound pork belly
- 2 large or 3 medium potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 grey squash
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2.5 tablespoons jjajang
- 2.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons starch (i used arrowroot) mixed with 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced for garnish
- package of jjajang noodles. usually found in refrigerated section of asian supermarts. will have 4-5 portions of noodles.
- chop the pork and veggies into bite sized pieces. mince the garlic.
- Take a pot and heat it on medium high heat with a light coat of oil. cook the pork belly and garlic together until pork starts to turn brown.
- add potatoes and cook for 6 minutes. add in the onion and grey squash and cook additional 5 minutes. season with salt and pepper as you go.
- add the jjajang and cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- add 2.5 cups of water and bring to a boil. when boiling, turn heat to medium and add in the mixed starch with water. sauce will thicken.
- add the shrimp and cook, stirring every few minutes.
- meanwhile, boil the noodles according to package directions.
- assemble and garnish with cucumber.
SERVE & ENJOY!